Monday, March 28, 2016

Wine Tasting: 2013 Cakebread Cellars Chardonnay, Napa Valley

So, I've started my first foray into Winemaking.  It started off well and then ended terribly this morning losing the entire batch.  Ugh!  Well, the wine wasn't lost (I didn't know that at the time), but in hast to get to work and thinking it was ruined due to overnight exposure to the air.  I personally ruined it by dumping it down the drain.  That's another story though.  One I will probably document soon.

Anyway, because my morale was in the toilet after this mornings debacle.  I decided I would open a slightly more pricey bottle tonight to enjoy.  

Today's tasting is Cakebread Cellar's 2013 Napa Valley Chardonnay.  The Winemaker is Julianne Laks and it was aged sur lie in French oak barrels, 20% new with periodic stirring of the lees.  I note the aging for a reason which I will get to in the tasting notes.

Tasting Notes:
Citrus on the nose, though its quite faint.  On the palate there is grapefruit, lemon, and a zesty acidity that punches right through the buttery scampi sauce I had with dinner.  This Chardonnay boasts much more flavor than the aroma suggests which was a little surprising.  There is next to no oak or buttery flavoring within the wine itself which is why I choose to note the French oak aging.

Overall, it's a good Chardonnay, but I do not believe the value is there at its price point.  Cakebread Cellars has a higher end Chardonnay Reserve that I would like to try and compare.

No comments:

Post a Comment