Thursday, August 25, 2016

Wine Tasting: 2012 Mythic Block Malbec

I've had a few Mythic wines and while many tend to be popular.  I've found them mostly good, but nothing nothing that I found really special.  Today's wine is probably the most expensive one I've tried so far, but it's not a budget buster either at around $29US.

Tasting Notes:
Medium bodied and violet in color with a peppery black plum on the noise.  On the palette, a black cherry and blueberry mix with hints of pomegranate.  Potent bouquet of flavors, yet lean on body and texture.

Final Thoughts:
Malbec wines (beyond blends that include Malbec) are a wine that I'm only lightly familiar with as I've only tried 10-20 of them.  Some where rough, others were okay, but I haven't had one knock my socks off.  This one is better than most that I've had.  I like this wine, though I can definitely see why it's a popular blending wine.  The Malbec grape has a lot of interesting characteristics that can give red blends a lot of depth.  Maybe if one day my winemaking skills reach the point of making real red blends.


No comments:

Post a Comment