Saturday, September 17, 2016

Wine Tasting: 2014 Orbit Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley

I visited my local wine shop today and there was an distributor there offering tastings of their products.  I tried three of them and found one to be to my liking and picked up a bottle of it.  

You would think this wine is it, but it's not.  They were also tasting an Orbit wine, but it was the Cabernet Sauvignon.  The bottle I picked up was also a Cab, just not the Orbit which I did try, but was all that fond of.

While perusing the Pinot Noir section, I noticed they had an Orbit Pinot Noir.  Given the Cab didn't spark much interest, I don't actually know why I was drawn to it.   Well, tonight that is what we're tasting.  2014 Orbit Pinot Noir from California's Russian River Valley.

Tasting Notes:
A beautiful translucent ruby hue. Thin scents of pomegranate and volcanic rock. Buoyant fruit flavors of red cherry, backed with light plum and a red apple rind. Very fruit forward and quite lively.

Final Thoughts:
Better than expected from an $18US Pinot Noir and definitely a surprise from my Orbit Cab tasting initial thoughts.  Though I tend to really like many of the Pinot Noir's coming out of the Russian River Valley. (Miro being one of my favorites)

No comments:

Post a Comment